Authorities say a 20-year-old Wofford College student who died after he choked on food had a blood-alcohol level more than three times the legal limit to drive.

Spartanburg County Coroner Rusty Clevenger said that the excess alcohol in Randall Heffron Jr.'s system likely caused him to vomit, and his then inhaled some of that partially digested food into his lungs, keeping him from breathing,

Investigators say friends found Heffron in a dorm restroom having trouble breathing on Sept. 10. He died a short time later at the hospital.

Heffron's mother issued a statement through the coroner asking students to become familiar with the Heimlich maneuver to help someone who is choking. She says her son's death also shows the dangers of underage drinking.