S.C. Tobacco Festival Pageant
The South Carolina Tobacco Festival Pageant will be Saturday, Aug. 20 at Blanding Street Auditorium in Lake City. Categories are Beauty, Photogenic, and Portfolio. Applications can be picked up at The Greater Lake City Chamber of Commerce or The Bold & Sassy Boutique. For an application, call Camelia Stevens at 843-386-2611 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Burgess family reunion
The Burgess Family Reunion will be held Aug. 19-21 for the descendants of Sam and Sally “Granny” Burgess. For more information contact Effie Dell Burgess at 843-659-4084, Kenneth Wilson at 843-701-2516, or email email@example.com.
“The Van Dam Collection of Rare Textiles” exhibit is the first showing of several pieces recently donated by private collectors Andries and Linda Van Dam of Camden and will be on display until Aug. 21. For more information, contact the Florence Museum by phone at 843-662-3351, or visit the website at www.florencemuseum.org. Hours of operation are; Tuesday - Saturday, 10 AM - 5 PM, Sunday, 2 - 5 PM, closed on Mondays.
Lake City Lions Club
The Lake City Lions Club meets at 6 p.m. on the fourth Thursday of each month at the Schoolhouse Bar-B-Que in Scranton.
FRANCIS MARION UNIVERSITY HAPPENINGS
FALL SEMESTER CLASSES:
Francis Marion University’s Fall Semester classes begin at 4:30 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 22. For more information and registration, call 843-661-1231.
Dooley Planetarium presents “Eyes on the Sky” at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 14, second floor, Cauthen Educational Media Center. Admission is free. For more information, call 843-661-1381.
Art Gallery Series presents two exhibits Aug. 23 through Sept. 29: Paintings by Robert Garey; and 3-D Works by Jon McMillian
The free exhibits may be viewed in the Hyman Fine Arts Center between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. For more information, call 843-661-1385.
PERFORMING ARTS CENTER:
The Francis Marion University Performing Arts Center presents the following events for the month of September:
- “A Formal Evening with Roberta Flack,” at 8 p.m. Friday, Sept. 9. The pre-concert reception is at 6:30 p.m. Attire is black-tie optional.
- “An Evening with Judy Collins,” at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 10, attire is casual.
- “Shakespeare Showcase” by the FMU Theatre program, Saturday, Sept. 10. Show times are 1 and 4 pm in the Black Box Theatre, attire is casual.
- Dance Recitals featuring Regional Dance Companies on Saturday, Sept. 10. Show times are 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. in the BB&T Amphitheatre, attire is casual.
- “An Inspirational Afternoon with the Charleston Symphony Orchestra Spiritual Ensemble,” at 2 p.m. Sunday, Sept.11, attire is casual.
- “An Evening of Classical Music with the Florence Symphony Orchestra,” at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 12.
For tickets and information on FMUPAC events, visit http://www.fmupac.org/" href="http://www.fmupac.org/">www.fmupac.org, or call 843-661-4444.